Skip Navigation LinksSCC Home Page Admissions/Registration Financial Aid Receiving Financial Aid Funds

Financial Aid

Welcome to the fastest refund delivery, more choices and the key to simplifying your finances! Community Colleges of Spokane has partnered with HigherOne, a financial services company, to bring an efficient method of refund disbursement to students. Financial aid will be disbursed to students via the My Bigfoot Card.

Refund Choices

You have choices when it comes to refund delivery! Simply select the refund option that is best for you. Your refund options include:
  • Easy Refunds deposit to the OneAccount, a no monthly fee checking account (refunds available on the first day of the quarter or the day CCS releases them to HigherOne)
  • Transfer to another account (ACH) (refunds available in 2-3 business days after funds are released to HigherOne)
  • Receive a paper check in the mail from Higher One (refunds are available 5-7 business days after the funds are released to HigherOne)
Please Note: If you do not choose a refund option Community Colleges of Spokane is unable to disburse funds to you.

View the HigherOne Introduction Video

The content presented here requires JavaScript to be enabled and the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player. If you are using a browser with JavaScript disabled please enable it now. Otherwise, please update your version of the free Adobe Flash Player by downloading here.

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How are refunds form Spokane Community College delivered to students?
    Refunds are delivered via the option selected when activating the My Bigfoot Card. Activate your refund preference and make your refund selection online by visiting Once your refund preference is selected funds are sent form CCS to Higher One who then disburses the refund according to your selection. If you want the fastest access to your money, simply choose to have your refund deposited directly into your OneAccount—a fully functioning FDIC Insured checking account.
    Note: if you do not select a refund preference Community Colleges of Spokane will not be able to disburse funds to you.
  2. How do I get My Bigfoot Card?
    When the financial aid office receives all of your documentation Higher One will mail a card to your primary address you have on file with CCS.
  3. I don’t think I will ever get a refund. Why is it important to select a refund preference?
    Although you might not currently expect a refund from CCS, we may have a refund for you in the future. After all, it may be necessary to drop a class, a class may be canceled or you may simply receive a scholarship or assistance you were not anticipating. Selecting a refund preference ensures you will receive your refund in a timely manner.
  4. What if I previously selected a refund preference and now want to change options?
    • Log into
    • Hover over Refunds at the top of the page.
    • Click on Refund Preferences and select your new refund option.
  5. What are my options for receiving Financial Aid or other refunds?
    • Easy Refundsm deposit to the OneAccount, a no monthly fee checking account (refunds available on the first day of the quarter or the day CCS releases them to Higher One)
    • Transfer to another account (ACH) (refunds available in 2-3 business days after funds are released to Higher One)
    • Receive a paper check in the mail from Higher One ( refunds are available 5-7 business days after the funds are released to higher one)
  6. What exactly is a OneAccount?
    A OneAccount is a fully functioning FDIC Insured Checking account with no minimum balance and no monthly fees. Selecting a OneAccount allows you to access your refund quicker and easier than ever before and o0ffers a world of great benefits such as:
    • Free internet banking features
    • The ability to make purchases anywhere Debit MasterCard is accepted
    • You may also withdraw cash with no fees at the two Higher One ATMs located on the SCC campus and the one located on the SFCC campus
  7. What are the advantages of having my refunds deposited directly to mu OneAccount?
    • Depositing your refund to the OneAccount and selecting an Easy Refund is the quickest way to gain access to your refund money
    • The My Bigfoot Card is NOT A CREDIT CARD. However you can use it for the purchases at all participating merchants that accept Debit MasterCard, get cash at ATMs, pay bills and more
    • Parents and friends can easily send you money online with a simple email and a linked bank account
  8. How will I know when my Financial Aid or other refund has been deposited to my OneAccount?
    Higher One will send an email to the address you entered during activation when your refund has been deposited to your OneAccount. Additionally, you can view the details of your OneAccount by accessing your statement online at or by signing up to receive text messages sent directly to you mobile phone with Mobile Alerts.
  9. Can I have my refund deposited on another bank account?
    Yes. You may have your refund deposited to the bank of your choice. In order to have your refund deposited to your bank, during the activation process select ACH Transfer to other bank. Simply complete, print and fax or mail (if you bring it to SCC, we will fax for you) the required third party form to Higher One. The form will be available online during and after the activation process.
  10. Why is the MasterCard Brand Mark on my new My Bigfoot Card?
    The My Bigfoot Card can be used to make purchases wherever Debit MasterCard is accepted. It is important to note that the My Bigfoot Card is NOT A CREDIT CARD, but rather a DEBIT CARD backed by the purchasing power of the MasterCard network. NOTE: Use the SWIPE and SIGN feature for no fees!
  11. What if I have additional questions?
    Answers to additional questions along with activation demo can be found by visiting Higher One also offers easy answers to your questions with EasyHelp sm – a self-service database contains answers to frequently asked questions. As always, financial aid staff is available to answer questions as well.

Tuition Payment

Financial aid funds automatically apply to your tuition when you register for classes each quarter. Financial aid funds are applied to your tuition and fees approximately two weeks before the payment due date.

You are responsible for paying the balance owed to the Cashiers' Office by the payment due date each quarter if funds are not sufficient to pay your full tuition, fees, and other charges.

Funds from a Work Study award cannot be used to pay tuition or fee charges. This award must be earned and come in the form of a payroll check each month.

The following funding sources may be applied to the total tuition and fees bill:

  • Federal Ford Direct Loans
  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
  • Academic Competitiveness Grant
  • Tuition Grant
  • Tuition Waiver
  • Washington State Need Grant
  • Opportunity Grant