Architectural Technology (AT) / A.A.S.
This two-year program is a comprehensive computer-aided drafting (CAD) program for people interested in the building design
industry. Our graduates have gone to work as drafters for architects, landscape architects, engineers (civil, structural,
mechanical, electrical), security and fire alarm companies, contractors, manufacturing companies, product suppliers, city and
county building departments, and other design-related companies. Graduates of our program have (and still can) become licensed
architects or engineering designers without further college education.
- Learn to use Revit, AutoCAD, AutoCAD Architecture, and SketchUp in addition to MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Learn from industry professionals using up-to-date software and hardware
- Develop your understanding of building codes, construction materials and methods, cost estimating, and green building
- Master the development of construction documents
- Learn to produce architectural presentation drawings
- Learn about the different buildings systems (structural, mechanical, electrical)
- Learn with a cohort of students while being taught by industry professionals
Students focus on gaining proficiency with Computer Aided Drafting (CAD), 3-D modeling and Building Information Modeling (BIM)
applications utilizing principles of design, the design process, building codes and building materials as they relate to
building projects. This program prepares the drafter to translate ideas, rough sketches, specifications, calculations and
existing drawings into drawings used within each phase of the design and construction process.
Students enter the program in the fall quarter. Program classes are typically held 7:30 AM - 2:30 or 3:30 PM, Monday through
Thursday. Students are expected to do a significant amount of reading and should be able to work at a computer for seven hours
The program also offers courses in technical writing, math for the building design industry, and employment preparation.
AAS Degree and Certificate
Students who satisfactorly complete the coursework for all six quarters earn an AAS degree in Architectural Technology.
Students who satisfactorly complete the coursework for the first three quarters earn a one-year certificate in Architectural
Technology. Students have earned this certificate to learn how to design and draft their own homes or homes they build for
Contact Us Now Regarding Enrollment
Financial assistance is available for those who qualify.
Contact Dave Braun at 533-7127 or David.Braun@scc.spokane.edu, or
David Edwards at 533-7128 or David.Edwards@scc.spokane.edu for
Students whose SCC entrance test scores in COMPASS and Aleks do not meet program requirements should contact us for assistance.
Gainful Employment Disclosure