Curriculum Update Alert: Prospective students should review the updated DMS program prerequisite courses.
The Math requirement has changed from Math 099 to Math 108.
DMS Application Packet
Diagnostic medical sonography technology is an allied health profession in which practitioners perform
diagnostic and monitoring procedures using sound waves. The sonographer performs examinations at the
request or direction of a physician. Through subjective sampling and/or recording, the sonographer proceeds
with the examination to create an easily definable foundation of data from which a correct anatomic and
physiologic diagnosis may be established for each patient.
Admission / Retention Requirements
- Active email account required
- Appropriate ASSET or COMPASS scores are required
- A 2.5 grade in each prerequisite course is required and course completion should be no older than 5 years
- Admission to the DMS program is competitive and based on panel interview, pre-requisite course GPA, additional math, science, and healthcare related coursework, quality of reference letters, and completion of 40 hours volunteerism in healthcare and ultrasound.
- A 2.0 (79%) is required in every program course to proceed to the next quarter
- National Background check is conducted 1st and 4th quarters of program
- Immunizations, current healthcare provider CPR, and 7 hour blood borne pathogen training are required prior to clinical internship in the 4th quarter
- Selective clinical sites require a ten-panel drug screen within 30 days of clinical internship
- Return to the program is based on “space available” and requires remedial work to demonstrate knowledge base appropriate with program re-entry point.
- After re-entry, students may only repeat a class one time. Repeat of courses must be completed with two years.
- Computer skills are recommended
- Some students find completion of CHEM 120 Organic and Biochemistry for Health Sciences, and CHEM 121 helpful to learning in the program
- Additional healthcare related courses such as HED 109, 129, or nursing assistant coursework.