search this site
Go
Go

Aviation Maintenance Technology

History

The aviation maintenance program is one of the oldest programs at Spokane Community College. The 1942 beginning was under the Emergency Power Act at Geiger Field. The Geiger Field facility was inadequate for the B-24 bomber and P-38 fighter plane maintenance classes. Three downtown warehouse buildings were provided to house the classes. The program started with 30 students and soon expended to 100 by running three shifts 24 hours a day.

After World War II ended, the aviation maintenance class under Mr. Wayne Leffeler and Jim Hammond ended up in the Northwest wing of the SCC building at East Mission Ave.

In 1969, the program was relocated to modern hangars at Felts Field, and the program expanded to four instructors and a maximum of 100 students.



Spokane Community College
1810 N. Greene St.
Spokane, WA 99217-5399
For general information call:
509-533-7000 or
1-800-248-5644
© 1997-2014
Spokane Community College
All rights reserved